Steuer, Escovar & Coleman Co. LPA Steuer, Escovar & Coleman Co. LPA

Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I'm injured in an accident? What information should I obtain?

After a motor vehicle accident, move to the side of the road if possible and immediately call "911" to summon medical help and the police. Obtain the full names and driver license numbers of all drivers, the license plate numbers of all vehicles, and the insurance information for each driver and vehicle. Record the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any passengers, pedestrians, or witnesses to the accident. Also, record the identity of any police officers on the scene as well as the identification number for the police report.
In any type of accident involving serious injury, obtain medical help. Write down everything you can remember about how the injury occurred, including contact information of potential witnesses, police officers, and insurance company representatives. Take steps to protect any evidence related to the accident or injury, such as your damaged vehicle, photographs of the accident scene or your injury, the clothing you were wearing, damaged personal belongings, and all medical reports. Make notes of the location of the accident, the time of the day when the accident occurred, the directions the vehicles were traveling prior to the accident, and the weather and visibility conditions.
As soon as possible, and before you make any statements to insurance company representatives or adjusters, talk to a personal injury attorney at Steuer, Escovar & Coleman Co. LPA. He can help you take the proper steps to preserve evidence, document your claims, and determine the full extent of your injuries and damages.

How much time do I have to assert a personal injury claim in Ohio?

Generally, you have two years to file a lawsuit against the person who injured you. If your injury is related to a contract, you might have six years to file a suit. Shorter periods of time might apply for making administrative claims against governmental bodies and claiming insurance benefits. It is wise to consult a knowledgeable personal injury attorney as soon as possible to determine the time limits applicable to your situation.

What is my injury claim worth? What compensation can I recover for my injury?

Under Ohio law, the person who caused your injury is liable for:
  • Your past, current and future medical expenses
  • Your time away from work, including time spent at medical appointments or therapy
  • Any property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
  • The cost of hiring someone to do your household chores while you are unable to do them
  • Any permanent disfigurement or disability
  • Your emotional distress, including anxiety, depression, and interference with your family relationships
  • Any change in your future earning capacity due to the injury
  • Any other costs that directly resulted from your injury
  • Punitive damages if the injury was caused by malice or intentional, reckless, wanton, willful, and gross acts
The worth of your claim is based upon the extent of your injury, and its impact on your earning capacity and quality of life. Other critical factors influencing the worth of your claim include the quality of your evidence and the strength of your legal representation. That is why it is so important to seek out an experienced, competent personal injury attorney.
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn RSS
Get answers fast. Leave us your name, telephone number and email address and we will respond promptly.
Email Address
Security Code:
Home   |   Firm Overview   |   Attorneys   |   Practice Areas   |   Location   |   FAQ's   |   Contact Us
14701 Detroit Ave., Suite 455   |   Lakewood, Ohio 44107   |   Office: (216) 771-8121   |   Fax: (216) 771-8120   |   Toll Free: (800) 369-8121
All Rights Reserved 2019, Steuer, Escovar & Coleman Co. LPA, L.P.A. - Admin Login   |   Web Development by Alt Media Studios