Steuer, Escovar & Coleman Co. LPA Steuer, Escovar & Coleman Co. LPA

Workers' Compensation Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I am injured on the job?

Tell your employer about the injury and seek appropriate medical care. Be sure to inform the doctor or other medical care provider that you have suffered a work injury. You, your employer, your employer's managed care organization, or other health care provider can then file a workers' compensation claim with the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation (BWC). This can be done by completing a First Report of Injury (FROI) form, and mailing it to any bureau service office, or the FROI can be completed on-line. The BWC will then determine within 28 days whether you are entitled to recover workers' compensation benefits.

What should I do if the BWC denies my workers' compensation claim?

If you or your employer disagrees with the BWC's evaluation of your claim, either party can appeal to the state Industrial Commission within 14 days. The Industrial Commission provides three levels of administrative appeals. Because you have such a short period of time in which to appeal, it is important to contact a knowledgeable workers' compensation attorney as soon as possible.

Who is eligible to recover Ohio workers' compensation benefits?

Generally, Ohio employees are entitled to collect workers' compensation for injuries, disabilities, or death arising out of and in the course of their employment. That is, the injury must have occurred in the workplace and be job-related. Written claims giving notice of the specific injury must be made to the BWC or Industrial Commission within two years of the injury. Not sure if you are entitled to benefits? Schedule a free consultation with a workers' compensation attorney at Steuer, Escovar & Coleman Co. LPA. We can help you determine your best legal options.

What kind of workers' compensation benefits can I recover?

Eligible injured employees are provided with medical care and rehabilitation, generally through a managed care organization or a BWC-certified provider. Medical and pharmacy bills are paid without additional charges. Workers unable to return to work for eight or more days are paid a percentage of the wages lost as a result of their work-related injury. Permanent disability payments are made to workers declared permanently disabled by the Industrial Commission. Special awards may be made for facial disfigurement, death, and an employer's violation of specific safety requirements. It is also possible to seek a lump-sum settlement. Consult with a Steuer, Escovar & Coleman Co. LPA workers' compensation attorney to determine the compensation available to you.
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn RSS
Get answers fast. Leave us your name, telephone number and email address and we will respond promptly.
Email Address
Security Code:
Home   |   Firm Overview   |   Attorneys   |   Practice Areas   |   Location   |   FAQ's   |   Contact Us
14701 Detroit Ave., Suite 455   |   Lakewood, Ohio 44107   |   Office: (216) 771-8121   |   Fax: (216) 771-8120   |   Toll Free: (800) 369-8121
All Rights Reserved 2019, Steuer, Escovar & Coleman Co. LPA, L.P.A. - Admin Login   |   Web Development by Alt Media Studios